Powered By Blogger

Tuesday, January 5, 2010

Eating on a Budget

I've decided the goal for 2010 will be to stay under $2500 for our family food budget. This basically gives us $200/month, or $50 per week for groceries (including baby formula), plus an extra $100 to spread throughout the months. I already know the most difficult part will be not wasting money when traveling, as we often pick up fast food for the kids and ourselves when we visit family or do mini-outings. Another obstacle is convincing my husband to stay within the plan, which means no more eating out during work. Still, I think with careful planning we'll be able to accomplish our goal.

Here's an example of how quickly the money can go, though.

Starting budget: $2500

Jan. 4th: returned from vacation, ordered pizza and wings for dinner: $36.50
Jan. 5th: Walgreens for breakfast items (hadn't bought groceries yet after returning from vacation): $10.15
Jan. 5th: J is sick, needs few items (apple juice, etc.): $15 (receipt was higher, but other items were purchased)

So before even doing grocery shopping, I'm already down $61 and change.

SO... grocery shopping began tonight. I hit Target for a few misc. items that I had coupons for (no food, but I got 5 Buddies soaps for $.03 overage!) I did buy formula, though, so that is $13.60 (give or take pennies.)
Then I headed to Dominick's. The best deal I had was the Nabisco deal they have going on right now; it's buy crackers in sets of 5, receive $5 off, so the final price is $1/box (except Ritz, which are $2/box.) However, a while back I had come across a great Nabisco coupon, which was buy 4, get $3 off. My final cost ended up being $5 for 15 boxes of Triscuits, Wheat Thins, and Ritz (just one box, since the price was higher, but I know the kids'll be happy.) Can't complain at 33 cents a box! I also picked up Cheerios at a good price, milk, eggs, veggies, some produce, and a few other items. My initial receipt total was $102, and with coupons it ended up at just over $44. Not the most perfect, but for someone just getting back into the game after a year off, I was very pleased. I had to take the truck, as our garage door broke yesterday, so I didn't have room for the remainder of my shopping. Tomorrow I plan to hit Walgreen's and Jewel (for the actual items on this week's meal plan.) I made a chicken roaster today, forgot it was in the oven, and overcooked it by a good 40 minutes at least. All dinners this week are based on the chicken, so I'm hoping it isn't too dried out! Otherwise, I may be forking over a few extra dollars for a new chicken in order to get dinners accomplished!

Total Budget Available: $2379.75

No comments:

Post a Comment